Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fresh Spinach Toss

Ingredients:
1 pound fresh spinach
1 can water chestnuts, sliced (I didn't use this time)
3 hard cooked eggs, chilled
1/2 pound bacon, diced
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
(I added fresh strawberries and walnuts)
Clean and drain spinach - wrap in paper towels - chill to crisp. Finely dice egg. Thinly slice water chestnuts. Cook diced bacon in skillet till crisp, drain. Put oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, pepper and garlic in blender. (I put in a jar and shake) Toss spinach lightly with dressing. Turn into large bowl and top with egg, bacon and water chestnuts. toss lightly before serving.
Foodie Friday is presented by
Visit her site for more fabulous recipes

11 comments:

Natasha in Oz said...

That looks delicious Judy. It is warm and summery here so salads are still very much on the menu. I am definitely going to try this before winter arrives and I will be making casseroles and stews!

Best wishes and happy Spring!

Natasha.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

This salad looks so satisfying! I love meal-like salads like this.

Kathleen said...

I love this salad! Yours looks so good, too. Your eggs look perfect, no green in the yolk. What method do you use? My shells seem to stick, even when I use 2 week old eggs!

The Fajdich Times said...

Kathleen ~
Fresh eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes, rinse in cold water.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I LOVE a good spinach salad, but have never had one with water chestnuts and I love them too. Thanks for the delicious sounding recipe.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love this salad and make a very similar version except my dressing has a ketchup base rather than mustard. Delicious!

Kathy Walker said...

I love a spinach salad...I have never thought of adding water chestnuts, great idea.

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

I have done a salad similar to this one and it is so good! I also put feta cheese on mine. I have never tried it with hardboiled eggs though. I will have to add those next time!

Haden News said...

I love dinner salads...this one is perfect for the Spring!!

Decor To Adore said...

Strangely enough with the bacon and eggs at 6am in the morning I am looking at your salad and wishing I could eat it for breakfast. :)

I am currently hosting an auction of vintage and antique linen treasures. Stop by and take a peek.

Be blessed!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Judy, you won the book plus a beach basket giveaway at my blog, Designs by Gollum. Please email me at designsbygollum@gmail.com and let me know where you would like it mailed. Congratulations!